While desktops and laptops have gotten more and more powerful, performance considerations for applications running on the desktop are not critical to the success of the app.
However, mobile devices are quickly becoming a viable computing platform and many devices now can run various applications which were only seen on the desktop previously.
As the developer community ports applications from desktop to the cell phone, performance becomes a very critical factor for success since cellphones are still under-powered as compared to the desktops.
This presentation will talk about best practices w.r.t performance while developing applications for the Android Platform. It will outline tips and techniques for extracting the best performance from android. These tips and techniques are a collation of well known java best practices that apply to Android as well as our learning at TapNTap as we go about building a next generation user interface for an Internet tablet.
Here are some of the topics that will be covered:
- Java performance tips that will enhance your android app performance.
- Performance Best practices which will apply even for non-android Java programming.
- Architecting to avoid the dreaded “ANR (Application not responding)” dialog.
- Benchmarking and tracing tools:
- Building custom views : Tips on how to extract the best frame rate before knocking on OpenGLs door.
Precompute for performance.
Layout tricks to get the best load performance.
Differences between mobile and tablets.
Takeaways for the Audience
- Best practices for Java development (performance improvement takeaways for any java app).
- Tips/tools and techniques on applying these best practices.
This session on “Performance in Android: Tips and Techniques” will be presented at the 1st IndicThreads.com Conference On Mobile Application Development to be held in Pune, India on 19,20 November 2010.Click here for a list of other Sessions @ The Conference